Address: 222811, Minsk oblast,
Maryina Gorka, Leninskaya street, 47

Phone: +375 (1713) 3-51-66

Fax: +375 (1713) 3-45-60

E-mail: isp@pukhovichi.minsk-region.by

History

The first people appeared in the Pukhovichi region in the 9th millennium B.C. Human settlements of the Stone Age were discovered near the villages of Sergeyevichi and Podgatye. Ancient settlements of the Iron Age  (the 7th century B.C.– 9th century A.D.) were discovered near the villages of Bluzhski Bor, Bolochanka, Bor, Velikoye Pole, Dudichi, Zhorovka, Kovalevichi, Leshnitsa, Mateyevichi, Mezhdurechye, Poddubye, Svetly Bor and Terebuty. Scientists found about 20 burial mounds of the 9th – 12th centuries which belong to the Eastern-Slavonic tribe – Dregovichi. In the 12th – 13th centuries the present-day territory of the Pukhovichi region was part of the Duchy of Polotsk. In the middle of the 14th century this area became part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. After the administrative-territorial reform of 1565-1566, the territory of the present-day Pukhovichi region became part of the Minsk povet, the Minsk voivodeship of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. After the second partition of Rzecz Pospolita (1793), the territory of the Pukhovichi region became part of the Igumen uezd, the Minsk guberniya of the Russian Empire. In 1873, the Lubavo-Romenskaya railroad ran through the territory of the Pukhovichi region. In 1894, a glass works was founded in the estate of Porechye. The Pukhovichi region was established on July 17, 1924.  The settlement of Pukhovichi became the centre of the region. The town of Maryina Gorka became the center of the Pukhovichi region in 1925. On January 15, 1938, the Pukhovichi region became part of the Minsk oblast. In late July 1941, the region was occupied by the Nazi troops. During the Great Patriotic War they killed about 6 thousand locals, destroyed 75 villages. Seven partisan brigades and detachments together with the anti-fascist underground put up resistance to the enemy. In early July 1944, the Soviet troops liberated the Pukhovichi region in the course of the Belarusian campaign. In 1999, the population of the Pukhovichi region was 79 thousand people.

Read 244 times

© Puhovichi Region Executive Committee, 2008-2018
Any errors on the site?
Please select the text with the error,
and press ctrl + enter